Wednesday, April 08, 2009

Rock Hall benefit returns to Koka Booth

Well, here we go again.

Music.MyNC.com blogger Jake Seaton reported this morning that the Rock + Roll Hall of Fame Benefit Concert will indeed return to Cary's Koka Booth Amphitheatre in 2009 — on Sunday, Sept. 6 to be exact.

This year's show will benefit the Cary Community Foundation, which makes me wonder if this is a Rock + Roll Hall of Fame event in name only. Last year's concert benefitted the John Entwistle Foundation. While the CCF does good work, they're not very rock 'n roll (though they do give to local arts groups).

The concert organizer mentioned last year, on a message board that has long since been deleted, that this year's event would have an 80s theme.

So does that mean we can expect a Downtown Live-calibur event with $75 tickets?

(Don't worry, readers, I don't intend to go off the handle over this like I did last year.)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can only HOPE this is as big a cluster-f*** as it was last year. You know the organizer is ripping his hair out thinking, "Dammit, I was planning on The Tubes as my headliner!"
Maybe they will start posting messages saying, "This will be the biggest concert promoted (or you could say BORN) IN THE USA this year. This won't be performed out in the BADLANDS, but here in Cary. You will SPRING out of your seat when we announce the performers!"
Then a week before the show Rick Springfield will be a special guest on 96 Rock.

Anonymous said...

Pollstar has Atlanta Rhythm Section, Nine Days (no idea who they are) and The Georgia Satellites playing Koko Booth on Sept 6.

Anonymous said...

Well if Rick French is promoting it again we can all start laughing about the lineup now. Last year they compared it Woodstock and the Isle of Wight and conned people into buying overpriced tickets before the lineup was announced - making them think the lineup was going to be amazing. I remember Mr. French saying people will be talking about this for years - I guess he was right but we're talking about how much the lineup sucked. Maybe I can get Frenchie to promote my kid's backyard birthday party concert.

Anonymous said...

Hey Rick French,

Here's a few hundred bucks and please keep telling me there's going to be the best bands in the world there but don't announce the headliner until the day before!

Anonymous said...

I was there last year and loved the first night. The White Sox All Star Band rocked, Dave Mason was amazing and Rick Derringer still has it. This is a show for those who are looking for those who can look at music as more than a big name headliner and appreciate the music itself. I have already purchased my tickets for this year just to see the WSASB again with Geoff Castle, Randy Hansen, Alan White and the others.