Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Valerie's top albums of 2008

When I first sat down to compile my 10 favorite albums from 2008 I knew it would be difficult — not because so much good music has come out this year (though it has), but because, well, I've been a big slacker and thought I hadn't listened to much of it.

Turns out I listened to more than I thought, but this list is telling in another way. See if you can figure it out...

Top albums of 2008
1. Slow Runner - Mermaids
2. Ryan Adams & The Cardinals - Cardinology
3. Aimee Mann - @#%&*! Smilers
4. She & Him - Volume One
5. Kathleen Edwards - Asking for Flowers
6. The Killers - Day & Age
7. Butch Walker - Sycamore Meadows
8. Ben Folds - Way to Normal
9. Death Cab for Cutie - Narrow Stairs
10. 1969 - Maya

OK, you get it yet? In 2008 I have been...a really big pansy. From politics to the economy and stress at work, 2008 hasn't been much of a cakewalk, and the mellow, somewhat soothing albums on this list reflect that. That said, I love them all. What about you guys, have you noticed your musical choices reflecting life at all these days?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

more than half of your records are the same as Kevins. did you really need two lists?

it seems like you two cover pretty much the same narrow stretch within the broad landscape music has to offer.

Valerie said...

I do see your point, and of course we influence each other when it comes to music. But there's plenty he listens to that I have no interest in, and vice versa. But also...does it really matter?