Another year is almost over and like my cohorts, it's time to look back at the bounty of great music released.
Superchunk returned with quite possibly there best album ever, Arcade Fire defied expectations once again, the Ben Folds/Nick Hornby collaboration was well worth the long wait and locals The Love Language and Chatham County Line soared to new heights, both sonically and in songwriting.
I won't get into every album, EP, concert and song I've picked, but the common thread amongst them all is solid songwriting and melodies, which is what drives me, no matter the genre.
For all those who haven't voted yet, the readers' poll is open until Thursday, December 23 at noon. We love to know what you're digging, so be sure to vote HERE.
1. Superchunk - Majesty Shredding
2. Arcade Fire - The Suburbs
3. The National - High Violet
4. Ben Folds & Nick Hornby - Lonely Avenue
5. The Love Language - Libraries
6. Chatham County Line - Wildwood
7. Jenny and Johnny - I'm Having Fun Now
8. Miles Kurosky - The Desert of Shallow Effects
9. Punch Brothers - Antifogmatic
10. Jónsi - Go
Favorite EPs (or mini-albums)
1. Megafaun - Heretofore
2. Slow Runner - Ghost Rendition
3. The Clientele - Minotaur
1. The Love Language, The Light Pines & Shit Horse @ Cat's Cradle, July 17
2. Chatham County Line w/ Zeke Hutchins @ Sadlack's Heroes, July 13
3. Superchunk @ Nasher Museum of Art, September 16
4. The National & Owen Pallet @ Memorial Auditorium, October 4
5. Punch Brothers @ Cat's Cradle, November 7
1. Arcade Fire - "Sprawl II (Mountains Beyond Mountains)"
2. Vampire Weekend - "Giving Up the Gun"
3. Chatham County Line - "Crop Comes In"
4. Cee Lo Green - "Fuck You"
5. Megafaun - "Volunteers"
6. Butch Walker - "Pretty Melody"
7. Kanye West - "Runaway"
8. She & Him - "In the Sun"
9. First Rate People - "Girls' Night"
10. Michael Trent - "The Winner"
11. Gayngs - "Faded High"
12. The National - "Bloodbuzz Ohio"
13. The Bird and the Bee - "Heard It On the Radio"
14. The Love Language - "Wilmont"
15. Beach House - "Zebra"