Friday, September 06, 2013

Hopscotch 2013 Night 1: The Kingsbury Manx, The Dreebs

Photos by Kevin Norris
After starting my 2013 Hopscotch Music Festival experience with a few songs from Nathan Bowles (check out photos with Justin's write-up HERE) I made my way next door to check out local favorites The Kingsbury Manx.

The band took the stage in the vast Memorial Auditorium to play songs from their latest album The Bronze Age. Their spacious pop rock sounds fit perfectly in the lofty space as some extra reverb to their already lush sound.  Check out photos below.

After popping back over to Fletcher Opera Theater for a bit of Angel Olsen (check out photos with Justin's write-up HERE), I popped over to the Kennedy Theater to catch a few dark experimental metal moments Brooklyn band The Dreebs.

Their highly dynamic, sometimes terrifying blend of metal and experimental, avant-garde music was certainly something to see. At least one unexpected shriek during a somber, droning passage in a song startled me as well as quite a few other people in the crowd. It was certainly one of those sets I'd only find my way to at Hopscotch and that's a big part of what makes the whole experience fun. Check out a few dark photos below.





No comments: