Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Justin's top albums of 2009

Whenever compiling a list of my favorite records, I start with the records I can remember off the top of my head. My thinking behind this is that if an album hasn’t lodged itself into the easily accessible parts of my mind, it must not have made a big impact on me and therefore can’t be a favorite record of mine. In a good year, I can remember 10 or more records without help. In a bad year, I’m going to need some help just to get to 10.

This was an odd year. I listened to much more old music than new music as I was trying to brush up on my music history. For this reason, it was difficult to remember 10 records that came out in 2009, but when I sat down and pushed my memory to the max, I found that it was a pretty good year with some music I really enjoyed.

Favorite Albums of 2009
1. Bill Callahan - Sometimes I Wish I Were an Eagle
2. Candy Claws - In the Dream of the Sea Life
3. Handsome Furs - Face Control
4. Danielle Ate the Sandwich - Things People Do
5.
Animal Collective - Merriweather Post Pavilion
6.
[TIE] Paul Burch - Still Your Man & Dave Rawlings Machine - Friend of a Friend
7.
The Mountain Goats - The Life of the World to Come
8.
Neko Case - Middle Cyclone
9.
Wavves - Wavvves
10. Hear Here: The Triangle

Favorite Local Album
Bombadil - Tarpits and Canyonlands

Favorite EP
Modest Mouse - No One’s First and You’re Next

No comments: