Sunday, July 29, 2007

A special day for Chicago fans in Cary

I've lived in Cary for about 12 years, ever since my family moved here from Long Island in the mid-90s. So as a transplant, I do my best not to miss an opportunities to mock the town and its inhabitants. And so we have this post.

Today is a special day in Cary, you see, because at approximately 7:30 this evening, Cary Mayor Ernie McAlister will declare today Chicago Day in the fine town of Cary. Yes, Chicago like the band.

The group, currently celebrating its 40th anniversary, will play Cary's Koka Booth Amphitheatre tonight.

Here's a snippet from the town's press release...
"The music of Chicago holds so many special memories for each of us. I consider it an honor and a pleasure to recognize their tremendous accomplishments," said McAlister. The band will receive a copy of the proclamation and the celebration will continue during the show as the audience lights up the night sky with glow-stick birthday candles.
And there you have it — Chicago Day. I didn't receive a response from town staff when I called to inquire what other bands may have been bestowed such an honor in the past. The only one that comes to mind is polka king Frankie Yankovic, who actually has an annual festival in his name.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

From one cary-ite to another, I say:

BWAHAHAHAHAHHA!!!!!!!!!!