Sunday, February 03, 2008

Tom Petty: The most interesting part of the Super Bowl

Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers certainly didn't disappoint with their half time show tonight.

It was visually interesting without being cheesy (I'll admit I really liked the traveling arrow into the heart at the beginning — how did they do that?) and really just allowed the band and their music to shine.

The set list was "American Girl," "I Won't Back Down," "Free Fallin'," and "Runnin' Down a Dream."

What did you guys think?

Tickets officially go on sale tomorrow at 10 a.m. for the band's July 12 show at Walnut Creek.

I'll admit I was really peeved when I logged in to the pre-sale Friday morning and found that for a $65 ticket (that's about $160 for two including fees) the closest seats I could get were in row EE in sections 5 or 8. (That's, essentially, on the lawn)

Perhaps tomorrow will bring me better Ticketmaster juju, but for someone like Tom Petty, long heralded as the anti-establishment rock star (watch the documentary Runnin' Down a Dream, I highly recommend it) the whole thing is a little disappointing.

"American Girl"


"I Won't Back Down"


"Free Fallin" & "Runnin Down a Dream"

3 comments:

Amanda said...

I also thought the halftime show as awesome and non-cheesy. I'm also glad the Paula Abdul rumor was just a rumor.

The arrow thing was weird. I'm not sure what to make of it. It's almost like it was done by the video crew, like the yellow first down line on the field.

Anonymous said...

I wish they could've kept playing.

The sound was weak, but that was Fox's fault for halfassing their coverage of the halftime show. They also screwed up by not giving Benmont Tench any close-ups. The man's been there from the beginning.

Anonymous said...

once again i agree, the halftime show was great, probably the best in a while. the whole stage was just amazing, for a bit i wondered if it was a rehash of the U2 heart shaped stage, though was pleasantly surprised.
i completely understand the whole irony of tom petty's ticketmaster relationship at the moment(just got off the phone with kevin about the whole thing) but all and all, its tom, its worth it to me to deal with some of that to see him live.

and being a closet football fan, the last four minutes of the game were rather action packed, though still nowhere as good as the heartbreakers set.