Wednesday, October 03, 2007

of Montreal at Cat's Cradle

If you’ve been reading this blog for any considerable amount of time, you know that I’m not shy regarding my personal affections. Like most people, there is a small contingent of bands I will be, for the most part, incredibly loyal to.

Well, go ahead and add of Montreal to that list.

The group played Cat’s Cradle last Friday to a sold out crowd.

The group mostly played songs off their two most recent albums, “Hissing Fauna, Are You the Destroyer?” and “The Sunlandic Twins,” but they also treated fans to a few songs off their forthcoming album, which frontman Kevin Barnes said will be titled “Skeletal Lamping.” (See the bottom of this post for videos of two new songs they played Friday.)

Friday’s performance was the first show for the group’s new bassist, who name I sadly did not catch. Anyone out there care to fill in the blank?

Otherwise, the show was everything I’d expect from of Montreal, a tight and energetic performance, wild costumes, a wonderfully cult-like audience with, of course, a dash of gender ambiguity.

Anyone who has not seen this group yet, I urge you to check them out the next time they swing through town. It’s an experience I haven’t seen duplicated by any other band out there.






No comments: