Thursday, October 11, 2007

Hoge mellows out but keeps the energy on "Draw the Curtains"

I still remember my first time seeing Nashvillian Will Hoge live. Probably because it was the only time I have seen him. The first three or four songs melted into each other like a well crafted medley, the energy was high throughout the set and I told myself I was looking at one of those musicians who wanted to give the audience a show worth every penny they paid to enter the Soapbox in Wilmington that night.

I was hooked, if on nothing else but the energy. I’m a sucker for a fun show, an intense show — even if the songs are mediocre. But they aren't. The songs were good, well crafted rock ‘n’ roll songs that seemed almost reminiscent of Waylon Jennings with a touch of Led Zeppelin.

From subsequent listens to his various live and studio albums, I had decided that this energy and the songwriting carried throughout. Yet as I plugged the iPod in to listen to his latest album Draw the Curtains I was taken aback at the ballad that hit my ears. I checked to see if I had started on the wrong track, saw that I hadn't, and started it over to get the full effect again. It's hard to start an album on a slow song for even the most accomplished recording artist, but with “When I Can Afford To Lose” Hoge succeeded.

What followed was no less surprising from song to song. Here was a Will Hoge album that had taken the energy of previous offerings and channeled it into what one might consider a toned down LP. Think The Beatles and think of the difference between A Hard Day's Night and Revolver and you have an idea of what I mean. The energy is still there and the sound that Hoge has crafted over the years is still ringing loudly, but there is a level of progressive development that is undeniable.

I hate to use the word mature, it almost seems cliché to say it, but that was the first word that came to mind listening to this LP.

One thing Hoge has never neglected are the infectious choruses that encourage the listener to sing along, and Draw the Curtains does not disappoint. Tracks like “Sex, Lies and Money” and “These Where the Days” seem like the Hoge of old, making it hard not to have a foot tapping along. But what one finds while listening is that the up-tempo numbers are greatly outweighed by the slower songs.

And even though few tracks fall somewhere in the middle between fast and slow, not a single song seems out of place nor does the album seem off balance at all. Hoge's soulful voice seems to take center stage on a number of tracks like “I'm Sorry Now” which features Hoge, his guitar and a lone fiddle.

“Washed by the Water” takes Hoge's voice to another level. A gospel-influenced tribute to New Orleans, the track gives Hoge the opportunity to cut loose like no other song on the album. The result is a performance that would almost convince you he was there during Hurricane Katrina, feeling every ounce of pain and pride the residents did.

Draw the Curtains is not your typical Will Hoge record. It is relaxed and intimate, though not lacking the ability to draw you into every song you hear. Hopefully this LP will only be the start of many great things coming from Hoge's relationship with label Rykodisc.

— Michael Graham, Guest Writer

----------

Will Hoge will be playing at Duke University on Saturday, Oct. 20 as a part of Joe College Day. It's free and open to the public. The festivities start at 2:00 pm and other acts include, Gov't Mule, Grace Potter and the Nocturnals, Ryan Shaw, Endless Mic and Nelo.

Hoge will also be playing at the Cat's Cradle on Thursday, Nov. 29. Hoots & Hellmouth will open the show. The show will be at 9:30 pm and doors will open at 8:30 pm. Tickets are on sale now via etix.com.

No comments: