Wednesday, December 21, 2011
Best of 2011: Allison's top albums, songs and concerts
It's that time of year where we share our favorite albums, songs and concerts of 2011. You can join in by taking our 2011 Triangle Music Readers' Poll. Voting ends at midnight on Dec. 22. We'll share the results with you next week.
It seems like 2011 hardly happened. Over the past few months, my life has been going at a breakneck speed, and music is really the only thing that helps me stay sane. This year in particular has had some excellent records on so many different levels. I got to see the return of Bombadil and got two new records from two of my other favorite local acts, Megafaun and Mandolin Orange. I feel like I should be at least a little ashamed of my love for Beyoncé, but her record is just too catchy and danceable to leave it out.
I've been incredibly lucky to have taken in so many shows and to be surrounded by a community of very talented people. Here's to hoping that next year is half as musically awesome as this one was!
[Be sure to check out Allison's work for The Daily Tarheel HERE.]
1. Yo-Yo Ma, Stuart Duncan, Edgar Meyer and Chris Thile - The Goat Rodeo Sessions
2. Fleet Foxes - Helplessness Blues
3. Bombadil - All That The Rain Promises
4. Mandolin Orange - Haste Make/ Hard Hearted Stranger
5. Mount Moriah - Mount Moriah
6. The Decemberists - The King is Dead
7. Megafaun - Megafaun
8. Destroyer - Kaputt
9. Beirut - The Rip Tide
10. Beyoncé - 4
1. Chris Thile @ The Carolina Theatre, November 13
2. Beirut @ Cat's Cradle, December 8
3. Fleet Foxes @ Raleigh Amphitheatre, September 21
4. M83 @ Asheville Civic Center (Moogfest), October 30
5. the Mountain Goats and Megafaun @ Cat's Cradle, April 8
1. Mount Moriah - "Social Wedding Rings"
2. Beyoncé - "Love on Top"
3. Mandolin Orange - "Haste Make"
4. Fleet Foxes - "Sim Sala Bim"
5. Bombadil - "Avery"
6. Toro Y Moi - "New Beat"
7. Nurses - "So Sweet"
8. Bon Iver - "Towers"
9. Hammer No More the Fingers - "Leroy"
10. The Light Pines - "Dream Sphere"