Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Flickerstick debuts new songs on mediocre live album

It’s sort of hard to believe that a live album recorded at Tree Sounds Studios, where everyone from Elton John to Outkast has logged hours, could sound so…bad.

I wasn’t there, so I don’t know who’s to blame, but Flickerstick’s latest release, Live From Altanta: Two Nights at Tree Sound Studios just isn’t all that good.

The band will be at Lincoln Theatre this Thursday with local at The Motion opening.

On Live From Atlanta, Flickerstick debuts six new songs, with none of them garnering much more of an “eh” rating. Muddled sound, incomprehensible vocals and, dare I say, uninspired, borderline generic songwriting all leave me less than enthused.

Even the old standards included on the album turn out sort of blah, with lead singer Brandin Lea sounding like he’s reciting the lyrics rather than singing them with any sort of commitment.

Now don’t get me wrong—I’m not a hater. I am no stranger to the love for Flickerstick.

(I can actually be seen in the DVD released with the band’s EP To Madagascar and Back, screaming enthusiastically — and no doubt embarrassing the hell out of Kevin — at Flickerstick’s Cityfest performance in Charlotte a few years ago.)

But sadly, I’ve been given few reasons over the past several years to continue my devotion.

However, I’m not willing to write these guys off quite yet. I’ll be there on Thursday, watching and hoping this album is just a fluke rather than a sign of things to come.

Who: Flickerstick, The Motion, Under the Flood
Where: Lincoln Theatre
When: Thursday, April 12. Doors @ 8, show @ 9.
Tickets: $8 adv through etix. $10 at the door.


Download Flickerstick on iTunes
Flickerstick

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Kevin,

Sorry to hear you didn't fall in love with the FlickerStick album but I am glad to hear you aren't writing them off completely. My name is Matt Maher and I work for Ariel Publicity, a publicity firm that handles online publicity for various independent bands. We just finished our campaign for FlickerStick but I thought we might be able to interest you in some of our other bands. Last November is a band that relies on honest, thought-provoking lyrics that echo passionately through the voice of lead singer Luke Pilgrim. Their sound is filled out with indie rock-influenced riffs and hooks. From Atlanta, these guys have been blazing up and down the east coast on a summer tour and are getting major radio play in the Southern states. If you interested in hearing Last November or more of our other bands we can set you up in our system to recieve free Cyber PR Kits. They are emails with an mp3, bio, and photos, and if you like what you hear their are instructions to request a CD to review and our artist will send you a CD. If you really dig them and want to do a feature for your site, our artists are always up for interviews or Q and A's. Let me know if this would be of interest to you, Kevin.

Thanks,
Matt Maher
matt@arielpublicity.com
212-239-8384