Wednesday, October 11, 2006

The Rooster is crapping all over my afternoon commute

Okay, that's a stretch. My afternoon commute is all of five minutes...and I usually listen to my iPod...but the recent shift on the FM dial is depressing nonetheless.

After being on the air for 22 years, 106.1 WRDU, pretty much the only consistently decent station in the area, switched to a country format — Rooster 106. I found out while on my way home last week and discovered one of my radio presets playing Faith Hill.

Oh, and have you noticed The River, 100.7, playing a little bit too much '70s music lately? Uh huh. Go to their web site and you'll still see pictures of Ray LaMontagne and Teddy Geiger (um, did they ever play them to begin with?), but they too have changed their format, from adult alternative to "rock-based adult contemporary." Translation: classic rock with no guts. At least they play The Beatles.

It's hard enough to find a reliable radio station in Raleigh without Clear Channel going in and mucking things up. But I guess that's just what they do. So where do we go from here: Sirius or XM?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

WCPE 89.7 broadcasting from wake forest and heard worldwide
100% listener supporter, commercial free, classical music
available on radio, some satellite and cable providers, and online in itunes
;-)
the cd player in my car died and itrip sucks

Anonymous said...

For music fans, Sirius seems the way to go. Lots of selections and at least two unsigned band channels, which is pretty cool. XM seems a little heavier on the sports, talk radio and decade based radio (70's, 80's, 90's) without much stuff you wouldn't hear on commercial radio.